Work Cited/Bibliography

Exploratory Essay

“Pluto -this was the cat’s name-was my favorite pet and Playmate. I alone fed him, and he attended me wherever I went about the house. It was even with difficulty that I could prevent him from following me through the streets” (Poe, 32).

“One night, returning home, much intoxicated, from one of my haunts about town, I fancied that the cat avoided my presence. I seized him; when, in his fright at my violence, he inflicted a slight wound upon my hand with his teeth. The Fury of a demon instantly possessed me” (Poe)

“This spirit of perverseness, I say, came to my final overthrow. It was this unfathomable longing of the soul to vex itself—to offer violence to its own nature—to do wrong for the wrong’s sake only—that urged me to continue and finally to consummate the injury I had inflicted upon the unoffending brute.” (Poe).

“I married early, and was happy to find in my wife a disposition not uncongenial with my own.” (Poe) and “My pets, of course, were made to feel the change in my disposition. I not only neglected but ill-used them (Poe).

Giordano, Robert. “The Black Cat by Edgar Allan Poe.” Poestories, poestories.com/read/blackcat. 

“The Interpretation of Dreams by Sigmund Freud.” Goodreads, Goodreads, 15 Sept. 1994, www.goodreads.com/book/show/93981.The_Interpretation_of_Dreams.

Critical Research Paper

“If a physician of high standing, and one’s own husband, assures friends and relatives that there is really nothing the matter with one but temporary nervous depression—a slight hysterical tendency—what is one to do?” (Gilman, 1)

“allowing its discharge in the appropriate signs of emotion, words or actions.” (Freud,2207)

“…And what can one do?…”, “..What is one to do?…”, “..But what is one to do?..” (Gilman, 1)

“There comes John, and I must put this away, — he hates to have me write a word, he hates to have me write a word” (Gilman, 2)

“…she suppressed any manifestation of her very intense disgust.”(Freud, 2207).

“I meant to be such a help to John, such a real rest and comfort, and here I am a comparative burden already” (Gilman, 3)

“It is so hard to talk with John about my case, because he is so wise, and because he loves me so” (Gilman, 6)

“It is no use, young man, you can’t open it!  How he does call and pound! Now he’s crying for an axe. It would be a shame to break down that beautiful door! “John dear!” said I in the gentlest voice, “the key is down by the front steps, under a plantain leaf!” (Gilman,11)

• Freud, Sigmund, “Five Lectures of Psyche-analysis.” 1955. PDF File. 
  • Gilman, Charlotte Perkins. “The Yellow Wallpaper.” 1892. PDF File. 
  • John Steinbeck’s “The Chrysanthemums”: A Woman Bound by Society, www.lonestar.edu/yellow-wallpaper.htm. 
  • Johnson, Russell. “GRIN – Suppression and Escape in ‘The Yellow Wallpaper.’” Publish Your Master’s Thesis, Bachelor’s Thesis, Essay or Term Paper, www.grin.com/document/288231. 
  • Sustana, Catherine. “What Does Charlotte Perkins Gilman’s ‘The Yellow Wallpaper’ Mean?” Thoughtco., Dotdash, www.thoughtco.com/analysis-of-the-yellow-wallpaper-2990476.