Juliette’s Self-Assessment

How you doin’?

In my FIQWS Writing Class, my professor assigned us a rather at first complicated task. But after further discussions and providing us with more information about the whole assignment itself, it was no longer confusing but rather amusing and entertaining. Overall, we had to develop a website of our own, this was rather complicated as this was my first time creating and developing a website. The task is to create a final portfolio consisting of a final reflection in which we correlate each writing learning outcome to what we had completed for the class and how we later achieved the outcome overall.

Develop flexible strategies for reading, drafting, revising, and editing.

For every writing assignment we were asked to write and complete a first rough draft. Completing a draft was very useful and was a way to help us to incorporate and express all of our ideas on paper as the start. Completing a draft was very helpful in the process as we were able to receive feedback from our peers on how to improve our papers, and fix or make my writing clearer. The feedback that I had received helped me to revise my drafts but had also gave the opportunity to how my peers perceived my ideas and writing and how they could possibly organize and elaborate on them to improve them.

Develop and engage in the collaborative and social aspects of writing processes.

After completing a draft for each assignment, Ms. K had told us to work in pairs or groups to both read and respond to each other’s draft utilizing worksheets to help us comprehend the paper more thoroughly. The worksheets helped me to break down the ideas being presented in my partner’s paper as well as to help improve their ideas. We were asked to identify the purpose of my peers’ essay, the audience, values, genre, and stance of the draft and words and sentences that show the value my peer holds in the topic. This exercise not only helped me gain feedback from my peer but helped me thoroughly better understand the overall concept and prompt of the paper through reading other’s drafts.

Understand and use print and digital technologies to address a range of audiences.

Throughout the semester we used technology in and outside of class. The instructor had us utilized turn-it-in. Turn-it-in was utilized to upload all assignments and the in class writing exercises by downloading them as a pdf from our computers and uploading them on the database itself. We also utilized Discussion Boards on Blackboard where we would answer the questions and prompts given by Ms.K. This helped me to get feedback on the assignments being given in class as we had to collaborate and comment on three of our peers’ assignments and discussions. Lastly, we also utilized technology for the research of our papers, and for the papers itself, and used the internet to search for credible sources.

Explore and analyze in their own and others’ writing a variety of genres and rhetorical situations.

My essay’s all had reflections which showed the purpose as to why they were written, or why my attitude was the way it was. In my Reflection of my Literacy Narrative, I analyzed the process of writing the paper and how I closely looked at the genre and the rhetorical situations of stance, audience, and media throughout my paper’s perspective. The audience affected the tone of my essay and my stance was supported by my personal thoughts and ideas. In my Reflection of my Exploratory Essay, I once again analyzed my process of writing the paper and the strengths and difficulties I faced, as well as how I analyzed the story of “The Black Cat” through a Freudian lens. Overall, the reflections were a way to inform my audience by giving them background information and personal experiences when composing my ideas onto paper.

Locate research sources (including academic journal articles, magazine and newspaper articles) in the library’s databases or archives and on the internet and evaluate them for credibility, accuracy, timeliness, and bias.

We were assigned a critical research paper which meant I had research and further analyze my ideas and thoughts through more understanding. I learned to pick credible and reliable sources that connected and worked for my topic rather than utilizing fake or unreliable sources like Wikipedia or spark notes. I utilized the CCNY database as shown through my library visit, through the CCNY database, I was able to find informative resources that encouraged me to write about other useful facts I hadn’t known about and add a little “spice” to my essay through reliable facts.

Compose texts that integrate the student’s stance and language with appropriate sources, using strategies such as summary, critical analysis, interpretation, synthesis, and argumentation.

When composing our Rhetorical Situation Essay, we were told to consider the rhetorical situation within our piece of writing as well as composing a strong and thorough thesis statement. We completed exercises which helped improve our understanding of a strong, and weak thesis statement consisting of the “formula” for a creating a thesis statement, identify the thesis in examples given, create our own with the given information, and corrected an incorrect thesis.

Practice systematic application of citation conventions.

All my sources were needed to be put into MLA format, I had to create a citation for each source and when mentioned throughout my writing in my papers. I used the MLA Citation guide online to practice applying and citing the correct way. I learned that when citing, I was needed to cite the author and the page number when utilizing incorporating a direct quotation from a piece of writing, or paraphrasing. In the end of each of my papers, I needed to compose a work cited page and cite all of the sources I utilized throughout my paper in the appropriate and specific way.

Recognize and practice key rhetorical terms and strategies when engaged in writing situations.

While writing the Literacy Narrative, I recognized and practiced writing key rhetorical terms and strategies like the purpose, the audience, the genre, the stance, and the media/design of the piece of writing. I utilized a worksheet given by Ms.K, in which we had to write the rhetorical situation of these aspects that we incorporated into our paper. When developing these aspects into my writing, I closely thought about how to relate this to my own thinking of thoughts and my attitude of the relation when comparing both opposing images.