Self-Reflections

Literacy Narrative

This was my first time examining and interpreting the painting, “The Problem We All Live With” and the political cartoon “Education Secretary Betsy DeVos”. My views and perspective on America as a whole have changed, that is after examining both images, in a side to side in an inexplicit comparison. Overall, I wanted to firmly point out that I had disagreed with this inefficient comparison.

Initially, my essay targeted those individuals who disagreed with the false equivalence of both images. I incorporated many key points aiming for this side of disagreement. As it was in fact my first time interpreting these images, initially the process was rather difficult to compose a great deal of sufficient evidence as I was not ideally informed or had any relevant background information or prior knowledge concerning any of the images. After careful research on both the painting and the political cartoon, I knew exactly where my point stood. In my essay, I had focused more on the correlation of how each contrasted with one another, both containing the opposite essence and meanings. The whole ideal situation of both images being compared, clearly shows how American’s perceive one idea and compare it to another as if they are correlative. Personally, this is not only seen as false equivalence but discrimination, and I had wanted to present this whole idea of “discrimination” and “unjust contrasting” within my essay to not only grab my reader’s attention but also so that they may be able to relate and agree upon my argument.

Although I may have come off as “Aggressive” in my tone, situations like these tend to frustrate me due to the inequality and biased minds Americans have nowadays. interpreting both images, made me much more socially aware as it allowed me to express my opinions and thoughts, which initially made it simple and easier for me to compose my Narrative Draft; being able to express my idea in writing.

Exploratory Essay

When reading “The Black Cat,” I was a bit creeped out and petrified by the whole meaning of the story as well as the meaning behind the story. I kind of felt a sense of remorse for the narrator as he acted impulsively maybe due to the fact that he did not receive help for the issues he was facing. Overall, looking at and reading the short story through a Freudian lens, opened and captivated my mind as I then looked upon the story differently.

It came to that maybe the narrator suffered and repressed all of his emotions upon his wife and others because he did not receive the help that he had needed, leading him to make these violent actions. At first, it was rather hard to identify the elements of dream-work and the important aspects Freud stated himself through his lectures, but I read the short story a numerous amount of times and it was then clear to me. All I really had to do then was put and organize all of my ideas in my writing concisely; that was then the other hard part. I always struggled with organizing my ideas and thoughts when writing a paper due to the fact that I have many ideas going on throughout my head and I am usually unsure of where to begin and where to end.

Overall, my experience reading “The Black Cat” through a Freudian lens changed my view on the story and in my eyes changed the overall meaning of the story itself. Although the story was a bit creepy, it was also fascinating and different to what I would usually read.

Critical Research Paper

Overall, my experience writing my first official research paper was very helpful. It not only helped me manage my time but brought out complex and interesting things throughout my writing. I found myself analyzing my information and thoughts more than summarizing, as well as utilizing stronger vocabulary. This paper changed my writing and my perspective of my writing as a whole.

This Critical Research Paper was all about time management. Although it took me a while to actually sit down and fully complete this paper including all of my thoughts, when I fully put my mind and concentration into it, I got it done within a two-three-day timespan. I struggled once more in organizing all of my thoughts and making sure I had incorporated everything that I had wanted to discuss. Considering the topic, I personally chose to write about; gender roles; is significant to me, I found it much easier to discuss and write about it especially connecting it with one of my favorite pieces, “The Yellow Wallpaper”. I focused mainly on the conflict with gender roles that can be seen in this short story, as well as connecting it to Freud and his own factor of Suppression. Both ideas of gender roles, and suppression is significantly shown and brought up MANY times in “The Yellow Wallpaper” which had also made this an easier factor in mainly composing and writing.

The struggles of fully concentrating, and impatiently wanting to get this paper done did come into effect but once I organized my thoughts and ideas into my own format, I felt much accomplished. Writing my first college research paper was an interesting yet underestimated subject and thought, but overall the outcome was good and valuable, and I am very happy with it.